Are there any physical or personal restrictions during an IVF cycle?
- Refrain from heavy exercises such as aerobics, jogging, etc. during your cycle.
- Smoking has to be stopped before ovulation induction begins. It is best to not intake tobacco for at least 3 months before an IVF cycle.
- Alcohol intake is prohibited during pregnancy and infertility treatment.
- Drinking alcohol is not advisable from the time fertility medications are initiated until the pregnancy test is conducted.
- Do not take any herbal supplements during IVF cycles.
- Herbal supplements are absolutely prohibited during IVF Cycles.
How much time does egg retrieval take?
Egg retrieval normally takes around 20-30 minutes. However, the duration of procedure may differ depending on the number of follicles present and how difficult it is to reach ovaries with an ultrasound probe.
Is it normal to spot on birth control pill?
Yes, it is normal. Birth control pills contain low doses of estrogen which can cause spotting in some women. You should continue to take pills regularly as directed. Do not skip taking pills.
Why should I be on the pill?
Birth control pills help regulates your hormones before starting stimulating hormones. In some protocols, they help the actual IVF cycle. Also, they help to start your cycle at appropriate time.
Why does my husband/ partner need to take antibiotics?
If fresh specimen is used on the day of retrieval, antibiotics will help to protect the woman from infection. It will reduce harmful bacteria during IVF. If frozen specimen are used, then your husband/ partner will not need antibiotics.
When is the blood pregnancy test performed?
The blood pregnancy test is performed 14 days after the egg retrieval.
What if tests reveal I am pregnant?
If you become pregnant, you will have to return to the clinic for another blood test and ultrasound. Once foetal heartbeat is confirmed, you will be referred to an obstetrician for the remainder of pregnancy.
In case I am not pregnant, when can we try again?
In most cases, patients need to wait for one or two complete menstrual cycles before trying again.
Are there side effects to the medications I will be taking?
IVF treatment side effects may be different depending on the patient. Common reactions may include skin irritation at the injection site, abdominal bloating, headaches, breast tenderness, and nausea